Episode 7: Distractions
Composers Neil Luck, India Jordan and David Austin Grey share their music and thoughts on the place of distractions in the process of creating music – are distractions bad or are they necessary? We listen to the sounds of a dream, hear the power of music to heal, and dive into what it means to create music during lockdown.
Join our CEO Susanna Eastburn MBE and writer Will Eaves for a unique insight into composing. Our recommendation at the end is the album Watch Out! by India Jordan.
In this episode, you listen to the following music and sounds:
- Phantasy (2020), by Chihiro Ono and Neil Luck
- Severed Heads (2021) from the album Downturn Fantasies released by Entr’acte.
- Dear Nan King and Emotional Melodical (2020) from the album For You released by Local Action Records
- And Groove and Feierabend (2021) from the album Watch Out! released by Ninjatune in May 2021
David Austin Grey
- Over Seas and Out of Reach (2020), a commission by Stoney Lane Records, performed by David Austin Grey (piano, electronics), Mike Fletcher (clarinet, flute) and David Duffy (double bass, electric bass)
- A Dark Place to Nest (2019), a work developed at Snape Maltings
This podcast was produced by Michael Umney (Resonance FM) and mixed by Chris Bartholomew, with our theme tune composed by Rob Bentall.
Our heartfelt thanks to the record labels, performers, composers and organisations who allowed us to include excerpts of these recordings on the podcast.