Episode 7: Distractions
Composers Neil Luck, India Jordan and David Austin Grey share their music and thoughts on the place of distractions in the process of creating music – are distractions bad or are they necessary? We listen to the sounds of a dream, hear the power of music to heal, and dive into what it means to create music during lockdown.
In this episode, you listen to the following music and sounds:
- Phantasy (2020), by Chihiro Ono and Neil Luck
- Severed Heads (2021) from the album Downturn Fantasies released by Entr’acte.
- Dear Nan King and Emotional Melodical (2020) from the album For You released by Local Action Records
- And Groove and Feierabend (2021) from the album Watch Out! released by Ninjatune in May 2021
David Austin Grey
- Over Seas and Out of Reach (2020), a commission by Stoney Lane Records, performed by David Austin Grey (piano, electronics), Mike Fletcher (clarinet, flute) and David Duffy (double bass, electric bass)
- A Dark Place to Nest (2019), a work developed at Snape Maltings
Our heartfelt thanks to the record labels, performers, composers and organisations who allowed us to include excerpts of these recordings on the podcast.