Episode 3: Taste
From writing a piece intentionally ‘in bad taste’, to cultural appropriation, from the memory of and ethics of taste; join our CEO Susanna Eastburn MBE and composer Des Oliver for a unique insight into composing.
This podcast was produced by Michael Umney (Resonance FM) and mixed by Chris Bartholomew, with our theme tune composed by Rob Bentall. Our recommendation at the end of this episode is for the Britten Sinfonia.
In this episode, you listened to the following music and sounds:
Gerald Barry (b.1952)
- String Quartet No.1 (1994), performed by members of Xenia Ensemble
- Viola Concerto (2018/19), performed by Britten Sinfonia with viola player Lawrence Power conducted by Thomas Ades. This recording is courtesy of Britten Sinfonia and will be released soon.
Matthew Shlomowitz (b.1975)
- A Lecture On Bad Music (2015), performed by Matthew Shlomowitz and Plus-Minus ensemble, courtesy of Kammer Klang
Joanna Ward (b.1998)
- baby wontcha come on home (2019), performed by ensemble recherche (based on Joan Armatrading’s Woncha Come On Home, 1977)
- Gradient (2019), performed by Illuminate String Quartet and soprano Patricia Auchterlonie
Our heartfelt thanks to the record labels, performers, composers and organisations who allowed us to include excerpts of these recordings on the podcast.