Episode 1: Time
We listen to a piece of music lasting 1,000 years, explore the politics of history and time past, and get a flavour for what non-linear music sounds like. Join our CEO Susanna Eastburn MBE and composer Des Oliver for a unique insight into composing.
This podcast was produced by Michael Umney (Resonance FM) and mixed by Chris Bartholomew, with our theme tune composed by Rob Bentall. Our recommendation at the end is for the Excuse the Mess podcast.
In this episode, you listened to the following music and sounds:
Jem Finer (b.1955)
- the then + the now = now time (2019), commissioned by MaerzMusik – Festival für
- Sweet Tooth (2017), performed by Elaine Mitchener, Sylvia Hallett, Mark Sanders, Jason Yarde
- The Rolling Calf – a black power trio featuring vocalist Elaine Mitchener, saxophonist Jason Yarde and bassist Neil Charles
Chaya Czernowin (b.1957)
- Hidden (2014), performed by The Jack Quartet with electronics by Carlo Laurenzi and Jérémie Henrot, released by Schott Music (CD) and Wergo Records
- Infinite Now (2017), performed by Opera Vlaanderen, courtesy of IRCAM
Our heartfelt thanks to the record labels, performers, composers and organisations who allowed us to include excerpts of these recordings on the podcast.