Post Symphony Orchestra Tutor (Percussion) at MiSST Music Academy
Reporting to Director of Music and Director of Excellence
Days Saturday morning essential
Interviews Thursday 8th September
Start Date September 2022
The MiSST Music Academy will be located at City of London Academy Highbury Grove,
London, N5 2EQ
We are currently seeking an experienced orchestral percussionist to join our team of highly
skilled orchestral tutors.
There are currently six orchestral tutors in our Symphony Orchestra rehearsals (4 strings, 1
woodwind, 1 brass), increasing to eight by September 2022. All orchestral tutors are highly
experienced orchestral players with a wealth of professional experience. Our tutors should
aim to attend all MMA rehearsals (dates below). A nominated and regular dep will be
required if any dates need to be missed.
The Symphony Orchestra is facilitated and conducted by Jonathan Gibson (MiSST Director
of Excellence Programmes) and administrated by Olivia Hemmings (MiSST Executive
MiSST’s Annual Concert, which will feature the MiSST Symphony Orchestra heavily, takes
place at Theatre Royal Drury Lane on Monday 24th April 2023 – every effort should be
made by our tutors to be available on this date.
The principal responsibilities of the role of Orchestral Percussion Tutor are as follows:
• To attend the MiSST Music Academy every Saturday (dates below) between the hours of
9:45am and 1:15pm (the SMS runs from 10am-1pm but percussion set up and pack down is
essential – tutor will be remunerated for the additional 30 minutes)
• To attend and assist during rehearsals (full orchestra, sectionals and concert band)
• To be enthusiastic, encouraging and empathetic towards our students
• To resolve problems discretely during rehearsals
• To give clear advice and training on orchestral playing, discipline and techniques
• To keep a general eye on behaviour within the section
• To play percussion parts not covered by the students in the rehearsals
• To fairly decide, alongside the conductor, how the percussion parts are allocated
We are particularly encouraging Black and ethnically diverse and/or disabled applicants
The post is available from September 2022. Dates for the year are as follows:
AUTUMN TERM – 10, 17, 24 Sept | 1, 8, 15 Oct | 5, 12, 19, 26 Nov | 3 Dec
SPRING TERM – 7, 14, 21, 28 Jan | 4, 25 Feb | 4, 11, 18, 25 Mar
SUMMER TERM – 15, 22, [24 Apr CONCERT] | 6, 13, 20 May | 10, 17, 24 June | 1 July
The current rate of pay for instrumental tutors is £30.00 per hour. Tutors are paid monthly
via an invoice to our administrator.
Please click on the link above for a full job description. Please apply with a CV and cover letter directly to email@example.com by 5PM. 5TH JULY.