Deadline: 23:59 – 16th March 2022
Interviews: Monday 21st and 22nd of March.
Sound and Music is the national charity for new music. We are unique in having a UK-wide remit for the development of new music which we do through artist development, audience engagement and a thriving, diverse and growing education programme, delivering high quality projects of national and strategic importance.
The Sound and Music Summer School is a week-long residential that gives up to 75 young people aged 14-18 the opportunity to explore and develop their musical creativity.
Students will be split across six tutor groups: Jazz, film music, vocal music, instrumental music, cross-cultural composition and electronic music. Students focus on their allotted tutor group to compose a piece which is performed and recorded by the professional musicians and composers supporting the group.
In addition, students attend tasters in the other tutor groups and attend workshops, talks and performances in the evenings. The tutor team of approximately 40 composers and musicians is supported by a pastoral team and an admin team.
The week is unique, inspirational, and provides music education of the very highest quality. The atmosphere is intensive but supportive and many students tell us it is the highlight of their year. The success of the week is due to the quality of the team delivering the week and the excellent support they are provided with. Ensuring the week is well-supported means that all tutors and students can be at their best; this role is key to achieving this aim.
Duration of role: To start in mid-May, through to late August 2022
Outline of time involvement:
- W/B 16th May 2 days/week, rising to 4 days/week WB 18th July
- 31st July – 6th August (residential)
- 8th – 31st August: 2 days (project wrap up)
Line management/supervision: Reporting to the Head of Education
Outline of responsibilities:
Overseeing the production of the Summer School including:
• Producing a master schedule for the week and ensuring it is shared internally within
Sound and Music and to tutors
• Coordinating with the Purcell School on numbers, accommodation, aspects of access,
dietary requirements, IT log ins etc.
• Coordinating with Summer School tutors/Purcell School on tech requirements paying
particular attention to the electronic music group
• Coordinating with Summer School tutors/Purcell School to ensure all student pieces are
recorded, edited and delivered to Sound and Music.
• Producing the evening events (with input from the Head of Education on content) and
end of week concerts including live streaming them
• Leading on the Summer School risk assessment and its implementation including
ensuring Sound and Music is working within the latest Covid-19 regulations and
incorporating any necessary Covid-19 mitigations for all people on site (tutors, students,
• Liaising with tutors to coordinate DBS checks, ensure anyone not attending the staff
briefing session has watched and understood the child protection video and issue
• In the event that the Summer School becomes an online event, working with all tutors
to pivot to the new format and adapting the responsibilities of the role as necessary
Download the full job description below: