Cryptic is inviting Scottish based artists to submit existing sound installations and/or live music performances with visuals to be shown at Sonica Glasgow which returns for its sixth edition with new dates in 2022.
Sonica Glasgow, sonic art for the visually minded, is an award winning 11-day biennial festival, dedicated to world-class visual sonic arts, presenting exceptional international artists alongside UK talent. Launched at Tramway in 2012, Sonica has presented more than 980 events in venues around the city, reaching over 180,000 people. Sonica is produced by Cryptic. www.sonic-a.co.uk
The deadline for applications to the Sonica Glasgow 2022 Open Call is 12noon (GMT) on Thursday 26th November 2020.
We are looking for existing innovative and creatively ambitious sound installations and live music performances with visuals which require no further development as this is something we are unable to fund. All Scottish based professional artists, regardless of age or stage in their career, are welcome to apply. Artists who are currently in higher or further education are not eligible (this does not apply to PHD students who can apply).
The successful artist will receive:
– A guaranteed fee of £500, which is above the Scottish Artist Union and Musicians’ Union 2020 rates of pay. Please note, the fee will remain the same for submissions from two or more artists working collaboratively. Fees will be revised if necessary in line with 2022 rates of pay;
– Travel and accommodation expenses for artists based out with Glasgow;
– Support in sourcing basic technical equipment;
– Support for install/de-install;
– Venue, PR and marketing support.
– A platform for your work supported by an experienced, international arts company with support, advice and space to take risks;
– An opportunity to participate in an international arts festival;
– An opportunity to introduce new audiences to your work;
– Valuable opportunities to develop networks alongside exceptional international and emerging artists.
The Sonica open call will be selected by a panel of arts professionals based on the application criteria, the quality of work and their suitability for the Sonica Glasgow 2022 programme.
The successful projects will be selected by:
– Cathie Boyd, Curator, Sonica;
– Claire Moran, Producer, Cryptic;
– Sarra Wild, (OH141), Independent Producer and DJ.
Cryptic is an equal opportunities and inclusive organisation. We want to inspire more people to discover, engage with and participate in the arts and we recognise that the diversity of our artistic programme, audiences and workforce is key to our success. We welcome applications from artists who are currently underrepresented or under-supported within the arts sector (including, but not limited to under-represented Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic backgrounds, LGBTQ+ identities, gender identities, socioeconomic backgrounds, those with disabilities and/or caring responsibilities).
If you would like to apply please download the submission guidelines from our website http://www.cryptic.org.uk/work-with-us/. Please consider the eligibility criteria and application content carefully before applying, ensuring you follow the guidelines.
We welcome written, video or audio applications which must all be submitted through our online application form –
If you require additional support in completing your application or have any questions please contact Rachel at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone +44(0)7933 571 117.
Deadline: 12noon (GMT), on Thursday 26th November 2020