Graphic design by An Endless Supply
Arts Catalyst is pleased to offer an exciting new residency opportunity for four UK-based early career practitioners from BIPOC backgrounds who are interested in expanding their practices into digital and broadcast medium.
Deadline for applications: 29 October 2020, 5pm
Residency runs from November 2020 – February 2021
Radio Arts Catalyst is a new initiative and web platform. It explores radio as a site for artistic encounter and as a critical space in which to collectively address current social, political and environmental challenges that are happening on a hyperlocal (South Yorkshire) and a global scale.
Between November 2020 and February 2021, residents are invited to develop experimental sound-based work, testing out new aural approaches and sonic modes of artistic inquiry, with mentoring support from independent curator Annie Jael Kwan, Arts Catalyst’s curatorial staff and a podcast producer. The outcomes of the residency (which might take the form of a podcast, radio show, soundwork etc.) will be presented online via radio.artscatalyst.org between March and June 2021.
Emerging artists, artist collectives and cultural practitioners whose work engages with ongoing techno-social, political and/or environmental challenges and who are keen to expand their practices through sound and broadcasting are encouraged to apply.
We are particularly interested in hearing from practitioners whose interests overlap with Arts Catalyst’s ongoing research inquiries.
The four residents will have the opportunity to:
- Receive support and advice in order to develop new work and test out methods and approaches
- Become part of a supportive network of artists, curators and organisations
- Receive 1:1 mentoring and support from Annie Jael Kwan, who is the founder of Asia-Art-Activism alongside mentoring support from Arts Catalyst’s curatorial team
- Access Arts Catalyst’s network of artists, curators, academics and scientists
- Present and share the new work emerging from the residency on Radio Arts Catalyst’s dedicated web platform between March and June 2021
- Be supported to test out different forms of presentation including writing, broadcasting, and performance
Please note, the residency will take place on a remote basis, using Zoom as the primary method of meetings and communication.
FEE AND EXPENSES
Successful applicants will receive £1000 artist fee and £500 towards production costs.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should be UK-based.
To apply, please send us an expression of interest including:
- A summary of your project proposal (250 words max)
- An outline of how you think this residency could help you expand your practice and how you plan to approach the project (250 words max)
- CV (2 pages max)
- Supporting material, dependent on your practice; 10 images maximum, 3 sound pieces and/or video clips (max length of all clips – 5 min), writings / text
- A completed equal opportunities form, downloadable here
Please email your completed application to us via firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Radio Arts Catalyst Artist Residency’ in the subject line.
This opportunity is made possible through funding from Arts Council England with Art Fund.