The Sphinx Organization, PARMA Recordings, cellist Thomas Mesa, and pianist Michelle Cann present a call for scores open exclusively to Black and Latin American composers. Teaming up for the first time, these organizations and individuals aim to amplify the voices of musicians from backgrounds traditionally underrepresented in classical music by providing a fully funded recording opportunity and album release made possible through the support of a Sphinx Organization MPower Artist Grant and by PARMA Recordings.
Scores selected, approved, and meeting the required criteria (see guidelines below) will be recorded with cellist Thomas Mesa and pianist Michelle Cann and produced by PARMA’s GRAMMY-winning team for release on an album on the company’s Navona Records imprint.
Selected composers will receive the following:
- Studio recording produced at no cost to the composer
- Full ownership of the resulting master recording
- Commercial release of the recording on an album with worldwide digital distribution
- All post-production, design of all album visual elements, and promotional support at no cost to the composer
- A majority share of received royalties from resulting streams and sales
- Invitation to attend the recording of their piece either virtually or in person
- $250 honorarium
Submissions for this opportunity may include works for:
- solo cello
- cello and piano
The Call for Scores is open to Black and Latinx (Latin American) composers of any nationality, state, or country of residence.
Compositions submitted to this opportunity should be pre-existing.
The works should ideally be between 5 and 15 minutes in length, but pieces outside of that range will still be considered.
There is no fee to submit, nor any fee if selected.
SUBMISSIONS ARE OPEN THROUGH NOVEMBER 5TH, 2021.
For more info, and to submit PDF scores and audio files, please visit the listed website URL.
For questions about this opportunity or if you are unable to submit through the online form, please email Danielle Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org for direct assistance.