“hothouse changed my life!” Lara Jones
mjf hothouse is a sixth-month programme for musicians to learn, experiment and create new work. hothouse is unlike any other artist development programme. It’s not a predetermined or one-size-fits-all approach, and each round is designed around the selected artists. Throughout hothouse, we help you unearth undiscovered potential, to grow as a musician, and support you to make your best music yet. We look at the conditions you are working in, and the bigger picture – aiming always to improve your prospects and encouraging you to dream bigger.
We also pay you and your band to do this! Why?
Well that’s simple; we want to diversify who makes and experiences jazz, and to further push the boundaries of what jazz is. We’re committed to working with people who are underrepresented in jazz and within the music industry at large. We are most interested in supporting people who face barriers, and this area is where we have previously made the biggest impact. We also want the north to be a place where artists choose to live and work.
“hothouse had more faith in me than I could spare for myself and I was blown away by what I could achieve with their guidance, faith and practical support.” Thandanani Gumede
On mjf hothouse artists get;
- Ten 1:1 hours with a hand-picked Industry Mentor. Previous mentors include Julia Payne, Emily Jones, Amy Pearce, David Porter.
- Personalised workshops which could cover anything from stage lighting, to personal resilience, artistic ambition and building your own website.
- Up to £2300 cash to cover your creation time as a band leader, the costs of paying your collaborators or band to rehearse and perform, plus some expenses.
- An industry showcase performance where we’ll introduce you to the movers and shakers of the music industry, and you’ll get valuable feedback on your new work.
- Producing & marketing support and 1:1 coaching sessions with the wider mjf team, to develop your work over the programme.
- Connection with mjf’s Artistic Director, Steve Mead.
- 1:1 support with fundraising to realise the long-term potential of your project.
- A peer network of musicians within the mjf hothouse cohort, lifelong friends and a long term network.
Find out more and submit an application via our website. If you would like to ask any questions or require assistance please email Helen on email@example.com