Applications are now open for the Listen Imagine Compose Masters in Educational Practice (Music), an accredited programme at Masters level as part of our Continuing Professional Development programme for secondary music teachers.
This programme is available nationally and is accredited by Birmingham City University. From 2021/22, learners will be awarded a Masters in Educational Practice.
About the Masters course
- Listen Imagine Compose is designed to enable secondary music teachers develop skills in teaching composing with KS3, KS4 and KS5 students
- The course delivery team is led by Professor Martin Fautley, supported by professional composers and musicians
- The course is accredited by Birmingham City University at Level 7 (Certificate/ Diploma/ Masters)
- Stage 1: Learners can transfer Level 7 credits from their PGCE or undertake additional modules
- Stage 2: The Listen Imagine Compose year comprises 6 x 3-hour sessions plus additional time spent reading, undertaking research and assignments
- Stage 3: A Professional Practice Enquiry is completed in the final year, completing the Masters qualification
- All three stages focus on the learner’s professional practice in the teaching and learning of composing
- Listen Imagine Compose is being delivered online in 2020/21; it is expected that 2021/22 will be a blend of online and in-person sessions
- The next cohort will start in October 2021; express your interest in the course here
During the course teachers will:
- Reflect on what composing with young people entails
- Reflect on their professional practice in teaching composing
- Learn new creative strategies for teaching composing
- Develop pedagogic strategies for teaching composing
- Develop existing schemes of work
- Be mentored by a leading academic and teacher trainer
- Work with professional composers
- Network and learn from other participating secondary music teachers
You can find more details and register your interest for the 2021/22 course on our website.