LSO Jerwood Composer+ 2023/24
We are pleased to open recruitment for two composers to the LSO Jerwood Composer+ scheme’s fourth year, with continued support from the Jerwood Developing Artists Fund.
LSO Jerwood Composer+ supports composers in planning and delivering two artistic projects. Composers will showcase their works developed through the programme, as well as works by other composers. Composers will gain entrepreneurial skills around programming for specific audiences, managing projects and organising events, marketing and practical experience in how to establish and promote themselves professionally.
About the Scheme
Guidance and expertise will be provided by LSO staff and an external mentor. Composers will also access compositional workshops and masterclasses with other composers and LSO musicians, supporting the development of their own musical practice. Two composers will be accepted onto the LSO Jerwood Composer+ scheme for fifteen months, from August 2023 to October 2024. The programme aims to support composers from all musical background who are at an early stage in their career and will provide each composer with:
- A £6,000 bursary plus expenses to attend regular activity in London
- A supported opportunity to plan and deliver two artistic projects, including at least one live event in Jerwood Hall, LSO St Luke’s.
- Coaching sessions with an external qualified coach to ascertain goals / work through any challenges.
- Mentoring sessions with a music industry professional, elected by the composer and engaged by the LSO.
- Workshops with LSO musicians
- Access to the rehearsal spaces, facilities and technical expertise at LSO St Luke’s
- An induction from key LSO staff and a tailored programme of mentoring support in the lead up to each artistic project to build skills and experience in programming, budgeting, project planning, marketing, fundraising and evaluation alongside further benefits.
Who Is It For?
Applications are welcome from outstanding emerging composers from any musical background who would like to gain skills to support their professional development, work with world-class orchestral musicians and contribute to the concert programme and its developing audiences at LSO St Luke’s. Applicants may not be in formal education or training due to the time commitment required.
We are particularly interested in applications from historically under-represented groups such as ethnically diverse composers, women or non-binary composers, disabled composers and composers from outside the classical tradition who would like to develop their experience of writing for classical musicians.
How to apply
Applications are now open, and close on Wednesday 26 July 2023 at 4pm BST.
Please see the Application Guideline Pack on the website for full details of how to apply. You will be asked to submit an online application including your CV and two contrasting scores. You should also ask someone who knows your work well to submit a reference by the application deadline.
We also ask that you fill in our online Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form. This is not used in the selection process and is kept in an anonymous format for monitoring purposes only.
Please visit https://www.lso.co.uk/jerwood-composer-scheme-apply-now-for-2023-24/ for more information.