The Centre for Young Musicians (CYM) in London is looking for a motivated and empathetic composer, who has broad musical horizons and an open mind and really enjoys connecting with young people to be Interim Composition Co-ordinator for the 2021/22 academic year.
CYM is based at Morley College, Waterloo in London.
Applicants should be free to work Saturdays in school term time, with some occasional mid-week liaison and preparation. The post is hourly paid (£35 per hour) on a freelance basis.
It’s a great job in an easy going and supportive environment with extremely nice and talented students and teaching colleagues who are keen to collaborate. The programme has been a great success with very high achieving students. We hope the interim co-ordinator helps continue this trend.
Help and advice will be given by the permanent post holder, plus a general plan for the year.
Requirements for the role:
- Professional experience as a composer and a good familiarity with the professional field and its requirements
- An open musical mind and broad artistic horizons
- Experience in composing for contemporary ensembles
- Experience in teaching advanced young musicians in group and private settings
- An understanding of safeguarding young people or a willingness to learn
- An up to date DBS check or willingness to go through one as soon as possible
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work and plan both independently and collaboratively
- Ability to coordinate departmental concerts and
- Availability to teach on Saturdays
- Track record in composing contemporary concert music
- A familiarity with current trends in the field as well as in other musical styles such as pop, jazz, electro, musical theatre and film composition
- Postgraduate degree in composition
- Good track record with young composers/musicians
- An assured, but flexible teaching style to help each student composer according to their specific needs
- Experience in planning and carrying out a syllabus
Please apply by email to Geoff Harniess, Head of CYM outlining your suitability for the role and attaching your CV.