We’re commissioning two artists, one from the North of England, and one from the USA, to collaborate and produce new music reflecting on the legacy of Detroit electro-techno duo Drexciya, described by Resident Advisor as the “most important electro artists of the 90’s”.
Commissioned artists will receive mentorship, creative stimulus and guidance from Techno artist and visualiser of the Drexciyan Empire AbuQadim Haqq. The work will be performed live on Drexciya Day 2022 at Eastern Bloc Records in Manchester to celebrate and commemorate 20 years since James Stinson, the architect of Drexciya, passed.
Selected artists will:
- Collaborate and produce up to 30 minutes of new music, with capability for a live electronic performance
- Receive mentorship, creative stimulus and guidance from artist AbuQadim Haqq, and support and feedback in the final stages of development from KERRIE (Dark Machine Funk/Eastern Bloc Records)
- Perform live on Drexciya Day 2022 (3rd September) at Eastern Bloc Records in Manchester
- Receive a fee of £2000
Travel and accommodation expenses will be covered by Brighter Sound.
Who it’s for
Producers, musicians and electronic performers working in any form of club music aged 18+.
From the Depths is part of Brighter Sound’s mission to support Northern artists, and strengthen links between the North and the rest of the world. To apply you should be:
- From or based in the North of England (North East, North West or Yorkshire regions)
- OR from or based in the USA
You should be available to be in Manchester (UK) between 28 August-4 September.
How to apply
Please complete an online form* by Sunday 15 May, 11pm.
*We’re committed to supporting and meeting the needs of people with learning difficulties or disabilities. If you have any specific access needs relating to completing the form, please let us know. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 0161 546 5334.
If you have any questions please email Jonas Roberts at email@example.com.