Cafe OTO are excited to announce a call out for our Digital Residency supported supported by the PRS Foundation Talent Development Partnership in association with Youth Music.
Deadline for submission: 20th December 2020.
This project offers the chance to work with our team and the resources of Cafe OTO. During the residency artists have the options to do the following:
- make new recordings
- create promotional videos
- broadcast a live stream
- learn more about the production and post-production process.
At the end of the residency the participant will have a range of digital material that could include a high quality edited film and/or a release-quality mixed and mastered recording of their work.
We have funding to cover two residencies. Applicants must be aged between 18 – 25 and based in the UK. The residencies are not limited by genre and although we will accept applications from artists working in fields closely associated with Cafe OTO we are especially interested in applications by artists who work on the fringes of genres – pushing and experimenting with styles in new directions. This could include the likes of pop music, electronic music, hip hop, grime, drill, folk music and dance music.
What we offer:
– A fee of £1500
– Access to the Cafe OTO main space for up to 10 sessions, including:
- time with recording engineers
- use of our multichannel recording, mixing & mastering services
- time with camera staff to record content for live streams and/or promotion
- mentoring with OTO’s staff (Senior Producer, Engineers, Digital Archivist)
* Please note that the residency can take place over 10 sessions, or over a selection of individual days and evenings over a series of weeks/months. We can accept applications from UK-based artists who have to travel to do the residency, but we are afraid we do not have a budget to support travel remuneration.
To apply we require ONE of the following:
- 1 A4 page maximum describing why you want to apply for this residency
- A short film (6 mins max) explaining why you want to apply for this residency (NB: we are not expecting high production levels! 1 single voice to camera shot on a phone camera is fine)
- An audio document (6 mins max) explaining why you want to apply for this residency
Included in this should be:
- why now is a good time for you to do this residency
- what barriers you have faced to developing your work (including but not limited to financial barriers)
- how this residency might help overcome these barriers
We also require 3 examples of your work. These could be in any combination of the following formats:
* Please note that music submissions can include already released music, forthcoming releases or demos.
Please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with the heading ‘Youth Music Residency’. We aim to announce the recipients of the residencies in early January and envisage the projects being completed by April, but we can be flexible with the finish date if necessary.