This opportunity is a request for collaborator, please note it may not adhere to Sound and Music’s Fair Access Principles.
MISE-EN MUSIC FESTIVAL 2024
Deadline: December 15, 2023 (11:59PM ESP)
Application Fee: None
(All composers chosen to participate in the festival will be notified on January 15, 2024.)
We are thrilled to announce the call for scores for our 10th-anniversary MISE-EN MUSIC FESTIVAL in New York City, taking place from June 19th to June 23rd, 2024.
This year, we have general (category 1, 2, 3 & 4) and special (category 5) submissions:
General Submission: For this category, you can submit any music that fits into the following category 1, 2, 3 and 4 based on instrumentations, electronics, and audio-visual components.
Special Submission: The category 5 is for a concert and symposium, which includes workshops, paper readings, panel discussions, and is centered around the specific theme of ‘Against Art Music: Music for People’s Liberation.’
Please read the following descriptions carefully and consider sending us your music and proposals! We look forward to your participation in this milestone event.
(Note: Categories 1-4 are for general submission.)
1. Work for solo instrument
2. Work for chamber ensemble (2-6 musicians)
3. Work for large ensemble (up to 14 musicians)
4. Work for electronics (live electronics, fixed media, audio-visual work)
(Note: Category 5 is special submission.)
5. Special Concert & Symposium Submission (Please read the following additional information)
Special Concert & Symposium Submission
Against Art Music: Music for Peoples Liberation
At the 2023 ensemble mise-en summer music festival, we hosted a concurrent symposium, “Ideology and Sound”, concerning the social role of art in the contemporary classical music milieu, and the use of non-profit ensembles such as ours.
This year we are inviting submissions for a special concert and a one-day conference: Against Art Music: Music for People’s Liberation. We are especially interested in music pieces and/ or presentations that address ideological contradictions in modern and contemporary art music and/or musical engagement with peoples’ liberation struggles from a critical perspective.
Various forms are welcomed, we encourage submissions that combine a proposal for the evening concert performance with presentations.
Please submit a 1-2 page summary description of the topic/ research area: political & aesthetic questions: and the envisioned focus and form of your paper, panel, workshop, or concert performance.
1. Proposals for papers or mixed/media presentations
– Paper/presentations (20-minute and 10 minute Q and A
2. Panel/ Discussion proposals
– 90 minute panel with 3 speakers on a common research question (Please submit an abstract/ proposal with description of the panel and 3 individual presentations)
– Deviations from this exact form are possible: please describe ideas in your proposal.
3. Workshop proposal
– 1 hr workshop dealing with musical-aesthetic problems and political struggles today. Please include description of participants, envisioned form, content, and technical requirements
4. Concert Proposal
– We invite proposals from artists/ composers for a concert performance as part of the mise-en summer music festival.
A. Proposal for a single piece on a mixed program
(To be performed by ensemble mise-en or composers/composers can bring their own musicians/collaborators)
B. Evening-length performance/ program proposal
1 hour performance: ensemble mise-en musicians can participate depending on workload. Please include information or detailed description of piece/ pieces, duration, instrumentation, requirements.)