An opportunity for existing and emerging music leaders to develop their skills, knowledge and understanding of musically inclusive practice with children and young people facing barriers.
MIMI is for anyone aged 18+ who is either;
- Aiming to become a music leader (a musician who leads musical activities with groups in formal and informal settings e.g. schools or community/youth centres)
- Already a music leader but needs more experience/support to develop their practice further
Mentees will be matched with a mentor from Musinc’s pool of excellent and experienced practitioners. Mentoring activities will be designed around each individual mentees needs through planning and discussion with your mentor. The mentoring programme is open to emerging music leaders with varying degrees of experience; mentees may have existing activities which they lead or may seek opportunities to see music leadership in action and take on some supported leadership tasks.
Between October 2021 and February 2022 MIMI mentees will be allocated 31 hours undertaking a programme of activities that includes
- creating an action plan with your mentor
- shadowing experienced music leaders
- delivering supported leadership tasks (when appropriate)
- being observed by your mentor and receiving constructive feedback
- reflection and planning discussions with your mentor
- facilitated group sessions (see below)
MIMI mentees will also attend 3 facilitated sessions (2 hrs each). In these sessions mentees will learn about inclusive practice, transferable skills including networking, time management, communication, finance and general organisational skills needed for any music career.
These sessions will take place on the following dates:
- 4 to 6pm Thursday 18th November 2021
- 4 to 6 pm Thursday 20th January 2022
- 4 to 6pm Thursday 17 February 2022
Mentees will be paid at a rate of £10 per hour.