We’re working with YouTube Music to offer artists from the North of England one-to-one mentoring from established musicians and music business professionals.
These are hugely uncertain times for independent and freelance musicians – particularly those in the early and mid stages of their career. The Musicians’ Union’s latest COVID-19 Impact Poll revealed that 34% of musicians are considering abandoning their career in music, while 37% are unsure about their futures.
With this in mind, our Mentoring Programme 2020/21 is designed to provide you with practical support to navigate your next steps in the industry, and help you to reconnect with your career ambitions and artistic practice.
If selected you’ll receive up to four meetings with a mentor over a six-month period, presentations from industry and artistic leaders, and group discussions with other mentees to share skills and reflect collectively on your experiences and learning.
The programme will run from January to July 2021.
As an artist you can focus on up to two of these four areas:
- Business Development
- Artistic Development
- Marketing and Communications
- Project Fundraising
We have connections with a wide range of people from across the industry who could offer guidance and support, but you’re welcome to apply with an idea of who you might like your mentor to be.
Who can apply
This opportunity is open to artists who are:
- Aged 18+ (there is no upper age limit)
- Based in, or with strong links to, the North of England (by the ‘North’ we mean the North East, North West and Yorkshire regions of England)
- In the early-mid stages of their music career
To find out more, please read our Guidance Notes for Applicants.
How to apply
Please complete an online form* by Weds 16 Dec, midday. You’ll be asked some personal details along with the following questions:
- Tell us a bit about you, your music and your career to date
- Please tell us what you would like to achieve through this mentoring programme, in terms of the development and direction of your musical career.
- Please tell us about your musical aspirations and career plans over the short term (1 year) and medium term (2-3 years) and how the mentoring programme could help you to achieve these goals.
CLICK HERE FOR THE WRITTEN APPLICATION
If you’d prefer to answer these questions in video format (max. 3 mins per question), please click the link below. You’ll be asked a few questions, including personal details, and we’ll then give you instructions on how to send us your video submission.
If you have any questions or want to chat further about this opportunity please contact Tim Chatterton at email@example.com.
*We’re committed to supporting and meeting the needs of people with learning difficulties or disabilities. If you have any specific access needs relating to the application process or the work itself, please let us know. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 0161 546 5334.
The Brighter Sound Mentoring Programme is kindly supported by YouTube Music, Help Musicians UK and PRS Foundation as a Talent Development Partner.