Applications for 2023 are now open, and will close on Monday 3rd October.
Adopt a Music Creator is a scheme created in partnership with Making Music which matches leisure time ensembles, choirs, bands and orchestras with a composer for a year.
The music creator and ensemble collaborate on the creation of a new piece leading to a performance, recording and possible radio broadcast. Music creators are supported by professional mentors throughout the year, take part in several skill sharing days and their music is added to Making Music’s library of repertoire.
Adopt a Music Creator is supported by the PRS Foundation.
This programme was formerly known as Adopt a Composer.
How does it work?
Adopt a Music Creator is a creative journey that lasts up to a year.
You will have the chance to work with a musical director, learn from an experienced music creator-mentor, have access to wider contacts and audiences, attend music creator skills days hosted by Sound and Music, and have your work recorded (with the possibility of radio broadcast). The collaborative nature of the project means that you will build a partnership with your leisure-time music group or groups, and not only will you get to create a great new piece of music with them, but you will go away with greater experience and confidence to work with leisure-time music groups more often in the future.
Successful applicants are mentored by experienced music creators, with costs and expenses covered by the PRS Foundation, and retain all the rights to the scores and music that they produce.
How do I apply
- over 18 years old
- not be in full or part-time education for the duration of the project
- based in the UK for the duration of the project (one year)
- have less than five years of professional practice in creating new music (can be non-continuous i.e. including career breaks or time away from creating new music). This is not an age restriction.
We are looking for music creators who:
- can show they understand how to collaborate on a musical project
- can show they understand and perhaps have some practical experience of working with a leisure-time group or community project in any capacity
- have original and ambitious ideas
- can explain why they want to take part now and how they would benefit from the scheme
Recordings of most of the pieces written for the Adopt a Music Creator were broadcast on BBC Radio 3. You can listen to these pieces below and on the Making Music Soundcloud page.
"It has been a real journey of discoveries where I have learnt new and fundamental things which will support me throughout my career."
Thank you to our funders
New Voices is an 18-month programme that supports composers at pivotal stages of their careers to explore new ideas, new sounds and new music, including mentoring and financial grant.
Composer-Curator is a composer-led and curated national touring programme which supports outstanding live and digital music projects and events.
This is a small grant to support composers and their work through self-learning projects, equipment, mentoring, and other direct costs for a project or artist development.