Applications for the 2021 Sound and Music Summer School are now open, and will close on Tuesday 6th April at noon.
To apply for this year, you will need to complete:
Please note: we recommend that you read the below information for applicants before starting, to see what information and examples of your music we need.
If you’d like more information about how the Summer School works, financial support options or anything else, please see our FAQ’s page. Alternatively, feel free to email us any questions you have about the application process or the Summer School.
You must be aged 14 – 18 on 31st August 2021. You must be based in the UK, or a UK citizen living overseas.
Please note: The Sound and Music Summer School is a unique week and we know that there are very few opportunities for young composers. If we are over-subscribed, we may give priority to someone who has not been before over applicants who have attended at least two previous Summer Schools.
The online application form does not allow you to save your work and return to it at a later stage. We recommend that you gather together all the information you need to make the application before you start to complete the form.
The information requested is as follows:
- Describe your style of music in 280 characters
- Name 3 pieces of music you have been listening to recently and why you like them
- Write up to 250 words telling us why you want to take part in the Summer School
- Tell us about what experience you have of composing music (whether at school, independently, or with a composition teacher) and any musical activities you’re involved in.
- We’ll need an example of your music (which you can upload to the application form). Please give us a score or written version of your piece if you have one. There are some examples of different score formats here.
- You can also send us a recording of your piece if you have one. If you haven’t provided as score, you must provide a recording.
- Write up to 250 words telling us about your piece, along the lines of a coursework log. There are some examples of coursework logs here.
- We also ask you to complete an Equal Opportunities form. This information is kept separate from your application and is not used during the selection process, it simply lets us understand who applies to and attends the Summer School.
What happens after I’ve submitted my application form?
You will receive an email acknowledging receipt of your application. We will let you know by the end of May if you have been allocated a place. Places are limited, so don’t miss the deadline!
This year, financial support from Faber Music has enabled the creation of ten Faber Music Bursaries, each of which will cover the full costs of a place for a young person who faces a barrier to taking part because of their family’s financial circumstances.