Opportunity: Listen Imagine Compose
Register your interest in Listen Imagine Compose CPD 2017/18
We are looking for our next cohort of secondary school teachers to join this unique, accredited CPD course.
Listen Image Compose supports teachers in developing their skills and confidence in teaching composing though research and training.
"The best CPD I’ve ever had in terms of catering for my needs as a teacher and a musician." - Sarah Henton, Head of Music, Heart of England School
It is a partnership project between Sound and Music, Birmingham Contemporary Music Group and Birmingham City University which investigates how composing is taught and learned in secondary schools and draws on the expertise of teachers and their pupils, composers, music education academics and arts organisations.
Run as Continuing Professional Development course (with optional accredidation to Master's level) Listen Imagine Compose is designed to develop teacher's skills and confidence in teaching composition.
We are now accepting applications from teachers who are interested in doing the course in the next academic year.
Fill the the form here or if you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The course in short
The CPD is designed to offer secondary music teachers the opportunity to develop skills in teaching composing with KS3, GCSE and A level students.
- The course can be delivered across the UK in partnership with local hosts;
- The course delivery team includes Professor Martin Fautley, Professor Pam Burnard, Gary Spruce and Dr. Jonathan Savage, supoprted by professional composers and musicians;
- The course can be accredited by Birmingham City University at Level 7 (Certificate/ Diploma/ Masters);
- Students can be a mix of those who do and do not wish to be accredited, subject to a minimum of 4 being accredited;
- The year-long programme comprises 6 x 3 hour sessions plus additional time spent undertaking action research in the classroom and reflection on professional practice.
During the course teachers will:
- Reflect on what composing with young people entails;
- Learn new creative strategies for teaching composing;
- Develop pedagogic strategies for teaching composing;
- Develop existing schemes of work;
- Undertake Action Research;
- Are mentored by a leading academic and teacher trainer;
- Work with professional composers;
- Network and learn from other secondary music teachers participating in the CPD
"I have been the lead academic on Listen Imagine Compose since its inception in 2010, and have been researching how composing is taught and learned in secondary schools for many years, and LIC is a logical development from this. It offers sound research-based principles, coupled with a clear and logical CPD offer for teachers. I have enjoyed working on the pilot of the Listen Imagine Compose CPD with teachers, and am delighted that it is now being offered by Sound and Music as a Masters in Teaching and Learning, accredited by BCU."- Professor Martin Fautley, Professor of Education, Birmingham City University
Listen Imagine Compose is a partnership project between Sound and Music, Birmimgham Contemporary Music Group and Birmingham City University. It investigates how composing is taught and learned in secondary schools and draws on the expertise of teachers and their pupils, composers, music education academics and arts organisations.